Ascorbic acid, commonly known as vitamin C, is an essential nutrient for the human body. You might be familiar with vitamin C as an immune booster and skincare ingredient. But, did you know that the ordinary ascorbic acid is one of the most popular forms of vitamin C in skincare? In this article, we will explore the benefits and drawbacks of the ordinary ascorbic acid for your skin and overall health.
What is the ordinary ascorbic acid?
The ordinary ascorbic acid is a water-soluble form of vitamin C, derived from glucose. It is a potent antioxidant that provides various benefits to the skin, including brightening, smoothing, and reducing the signs of aging. The ordinary offers two types of ascorbic acid in their product line: powder and suspension.
The benefits of the ordinary ascorbic acid for your skin
- 1. Brightening: The ordinary ascorbic acid is a natural skin brightener. It helps to reduce the appearance of dark spots and hyperpigmentation, resulting in a glowing and even-toned complexion.
- 2. Anti-aging: The ordinary ascorbic acid stimulates collagen production, which is essential for youthful-looking skin. It helps to reduce fine lines, wrinkles, and laxity and improves skin elasticity.
- 3. Protection: The ordinary ascorbic acid acts as a powerful antioxidant, protecting the skin against environmental stressors like pollution and UV rays that can cause free radical damage.
The drawbacks of the ordinary ascorbic acid for your skin
While the ordinary ascorbic acid is an excellent skincare ingredient, it comes with some drawbacks.
- 1. Instability: Ascorbic acid is an unstable molecule that breaks down when exposed to light, air, and water. The ordinary ascorbic acid suspension comes in an opaque container to protect it from light and air exposure.
- 2. Irritation: Ascorbic acid can cause skin irritation, especially for those with sensitive skin. It is advisable to do a patch test before using it on your face.
- 3. pH dependence: Ascorbic acid works best at a low pH level. The ordinary recommends a pH of 3.5 or lower to maximize its benefits. However, this low pH can cause irritation and over-exfoliation in some individuals.
The best way to use the ordinary ascorbic acid
The ordinary recommends using ascorbic acid in the morning and applying sun protection to prevent photo-damage. Start by using it every other day to assess your skin’s reaction. If your skin tolerates it well, you can increase the frequency to once or twice a day.
If you prefer a more gentle option, the ordinary ascorbic acid powder can be mixed with your favorite serum or cream. This allows you to control the concentration and pH level and minimize the risk of irritation.
The ordinary ascorbic acid is an excellent skincare ingredient that provides various benefits to the skin. While it comes with some drawbacks, with proper usage and careful consideration, it can help you achieve a brighter, smoother and healthier-looking complexion. Just like with any skincare ingredient, listen to your skin and choose the best product for your skin type and concerns.
Most searched products:
- Does Sephora Support Israel? Answering Your Questions
- Top 10 Boots Retinol Review: The Ultimate Guide to Anti-Aging Boots
- Say Goodbye to Unwanted Hair with Exfoliating Hair Removal Pads
- Get Thick & Luscious Lashes With Sins N Lashes Serum: Our Honest Review!
- Get Glowing Skin with The Ordinary Smooth and Bright Set: A Complete Review
- Lip Plumper
- Botox in a Bottle: The Ultimate Guide to Youthful Skin
- Cuivre: Understanding the Significance and Properties of Copper Metal
- The Ordinary Vitamin C Powder: Benefits, Uses, and Tips
- Boots Ankle Support