Glycolic, a naturally occurring alpha-hydroxy acid derived from sugarcane, has become a popular ingredient in skincare products due to its numerous benefits. From exfoliating to brightening, this multifaceted compound has become a staple in the beauty industry. In this article, we will discuss the benefits of glycolic, how it works, and what to look for when purchasing glycolic-based products.
What is Glycolic Acid?
Glycolic acid is an alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) that is naturally derived from sugarcane. It is a water-soluble compound that works by breaking down the bonds between skin cells, allowing for easier exfoliation. Due to its small molecular size, glycolic acid is able to penetrate the skin deeply, making it an effective ingredient in a variety of skincare products.
The Benefits of Glycolic Acid
1. Exfoliation – Glycolic acid exfoliates the skin by removing dead skin cells on the surface, revealing smoother, brighter skin.
2. Acne – Glycolic acid helps to unclog pores by breaking down the buildup of dead skin cells and sebum, making it an effective treatment for acne-prone skin.
3. Anti-Aging – Glycolic acid stimulates collagen production, leading to firmer, plumper skin. It also helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
4. Hyperpigmentation – Glycolic acid brightens the skin by reducing the appearance of dark spots and hyperpigmentation.
5. Texture – Glycolic acid improves the texture of the skin by reducing the appearance of rough patches and uneven skin.
How Does Glycolic Acid Work?
Glycolic acid works by breaking down the bonds between skin cells, allowing for easier exfoliation. It also stimulates collagen production, leading to firmer, plumper skin. Additionally, it helps to regulate sebum production, making it an effective treatment for acne-prone skin. Due to its small molecular size, glycolic acid is able to penetrate the skin deeply, making it an effective ingredient in a variety of skincare products.
What to Look for When Purchasing Glycolic-Based Products
1. Percentage – Look for products that contain between 2% and 10% glycolic acid. Higher percentages can cause irritation and should only be used under the guidance of a dermatologist.
2. pH – Look for products with a pH between 3 and 4. This ensures that the glycolic acid is at the optimal pH for exfoliation.
3. Other Ingredients – Look for products that contain moisturizing ingredients, such as hyaluronic acid or aloe vera, to prevent dryness and irritation.
Glycolic-Based Products to Try
1. Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 8% AHA Gel – This gel contains 8% glycolic acid and is formulated to exfoliate and brighten the skin.
2. The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution – This toner contains 7% glycolic acid and is formulated to exfoliate and clarify the skin.
3. Pixi Glow Tonic – This toner contains 5% glycolic acid and is formulated to exfoliate and brighten the skin.
In conclusion, glycolic acid is a versatile ingredient with numerous benefits for the skin. When purchasing glycolic-based products, it’s important to look for a percentage between 2% and 10%, a pH between 3 and 4, and other moisturizing ingredients to prevent dryness and irritation. With the right product, glycolic acid can be a game-changer in your skincare routine.
Most searched products:
- Does Sephora Support Israel? Answering Your Questions
- Revitalize Your Skin: 10 Best Skincare Products to Brighten Dull Skin
- Get Thick & Luscious Lashes With Sins N Lashes Serum: Our Honest Review!
- Discover the Inspiring Story of The Ordinary Founder: Brandon Truaxe
- The Ordinary Vitamin C Powder: Benefits, Uses, and Tips
- Discover the Benefits of The Ordinary Botox for Your Skin
- Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% 30Ml
- The Ultimate Guide to Choosing The Best Night Cream From The Ordinary for Glowing Skin
- The Ultimate Guide to Niacinamide: How Long Does it Take to Work?
- Get Glowing Skin with The Ordinary Smooth and Bright Set: A Complete Review